Monday, March 22, 2010

Meeting the Selfish Seamstress!

Elaine-Cidell-Trena

The Selfish Seamstress was in town for secret government business. This is why I love DC--everyone ends up here sooner or later for a conference or a meeting and then I get to see them without having to go anywhere! Cidell drove up from Baltimore and the three of us met up for an evening of Real Life.

We went had dinner at one of my favorite pizza places, Ella's Pizza, and then new-school frozen yogurt at TangySweet. I think it's so funny that frozen yogurt is having a sweeping-the-nation resurgence similar to its first sweeping-the-nation phenom in the mid 80s. But I must say, the new kind is SO GOOD. While the old kind is trying to imitate ice cream and is generally way too sweet and chemical flavored, the new kind actually tastes like yogurt, a little bit tangy and a little bit sour. Yum. And now it is finally warm enough to eat it again!

Trena and Elaine Fabric from the PhillippinesI have to say, the Selfish Seamstress, despite her protestations to the contrary, does *not* do a good job living up to her moniker, as she came bearing gifts. She brought fabric she had purchased in the Phillippines, taking care to match her selections up to our taste. I think she nailed it! Love this midnight blue with the gold border print; as we know I have been a little obsessed with border prints lately. I see this as a simple shift or sheath to show off the fabric.

It is so fun to meet up with sewing friends! This definitely whets my appetite for PR Weekend Philly and PR Weekend Montreal. I am so excited about going to both!!!!!

================

I am also excited about my trip to NYC this weekend (though I was hoping for beautiful sandals weather, *sigh*). I still haven't booked my bus ticket (better get on that), but my plan is to arrive around lunchtime on Friday and plan a lunch somewhere in the vicinity of the garment district, inviting any who can join. If you have any veggie-friendly restaurant suggestions please let me know!

17 comments:

AuntieAllyn said...

You gotta love those cheap buses to/from New York City. I'm going up there in June and already booked my seats . . . $1 each way!!! What a bargain! Glad to know that you'll be at the PR weekend in Philly, look forward to meeting you!

Marybeth said...

It looks like it was fun! It's funny how you kind of get to know people from reading their blogs. I bet you all had plenty to talk about :))) I live in Philadelphia, so maybe I'll see you at the PR Philly weekend!

ELMO said...

The selfish seamstress is ... generous. That's it I'm not reading her blog anymore. How great that you could all get together and meet, and bond over fabric & fashion.

melissa said...

oh I'm so jealous you guys got to meet up! I hope I get to fit in a mid-Atlantic sewing pow wow when I'm over for the wedding reception in September.

And new frozen yogurt tastes like yogurt? Gross!! I only ever liked the old style because it DIDN'T taste like spoiled milk.

Reethi said...

If you like Indian food, try Vatan (only open for dinner though.) www.vatanny.com. I also ate at Dawat, which was interesting to me, since I'm trying to cook all of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes, and this is her restaurant. And I googled Vegetarian and Chinese, and ended up eating at a place in Chinatown that was excellent, but I can't remember its name off the top of my head. If you do want to go, email me and I'll look it up? (Both Vatan and Dawat should be easy to find via Google...)

Unknown said...

What a fun meet-up! I too remember the yogurt craze of the 80s-- Columbo Frozen Yogurt was the BEST!

Claudine said...

Oh, man, I would love to meet you but I'll be out of town on Friday. Have fun with the other New York area sewists!

Trudy said...

Hmm. Things are not adding up here. The Selfish Seamstress says that you held her up and forced her against her will to eat that pizza and that you stole that fabric from her.

Eugenia said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun and got a really beautiful gift too! I know what you mean about the new frozen yoghurt places - I love them. I have visited a few during trips to NYC and now we have a really great one in London, called Snog!

CGCouture said...

That fabric is gorgeous, and would look awesome made up into the new Butterick 5454. Sounds like you ladies had a good time! :-)

Kathi said...

Looks like the three of you had a great time! How fun to meet up with fellow sewists and bloggers!!

Kathi said...

Oh, the fabric she brought you is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegan said...

Hi! Just found your blog after you were featured in the PR newsletter!

I have to recommend Vegetarian Dim Sum House! Very yummy and cheap!
http://www.rozcoo.com/VegDimSumHouse.html

Brooke said...

Mmmmm...Ella's Pizza....mmmm. Well now I have to revise my lunch plans for today. The call cannot be denied. :-D

Clio said...

Hmmm, the West 30's/40's isn't exactly an herbivore's paradise. Come to think of it, it isn't really and omnivore's paradise either. Maoz Vegetarian is right on 40th and 7th Ave, but it is really a take-out operation (often with a line outside). There is Zen Palate on 46th and 9th Ave, but that's a bit outside the Garment District. Not strictly veg but veg do-able is Chef Yu (37th and 8th Ave), which I think of as being between Mood and Greenberg & Hammer. If you like chinese, it is reasonably priced and well situated.

amber said...

What a fun sewing blogger date!

McVal said...

How exciting! I would LOVE a day like that!