Thursday, March 28, 2013

DC Area Sewing Meetup: Wish You Were Here!

Nikki, Our Organizer


It is so fun to talk about sewing in real life!

It had been a while since we last had a DC-area sewing meetup, so Nikki took the initiative to organize through the message board at Pattern Review (for some reason it literally did not occur to me to announce it on my blog until I left the house and was biking toward the restaurant).  We met at the Vapiano in Chinatown, which is convenient to all five metro lines.  It turned out to be a great place for a meetup.  Everyone orders their food separately at the counter, but the dining experience is not fast food.  We were able to take over a big corner of the restaurant with plenty of space to chat and to swap for a couple of hours.


Hanging Out











People came from near and far--I think Baltimore was our furthest trekker. I think I was closest. The restaurant is only a little over a mile from my house (lucky me!).

Everyone was decked out in their fanciest sewn duds.






The Group







We circulated around getting to know one another and reconnecting, talking through sewing puzzles.

Recent Sewing Project














DD brought a recent project, the Vogue 8881 high-low hem tee.  Everyone had fun admiring her excellent coverstitched hem, and we all agreed that we now want this pattern.









All that's left of brunch!




First things first, we had to eat.  You can see how much we enjoyed the food here.

Swap Bench





























Once we had our sustenance, it was time to get to swapping.  We collectively brought a truly huge volume of fabric and patterns.  Everyone went home happy (especially those of us who managed to get rid of slightly more than we took...very slightly).

Perusing a Swap Books





In addition to fabric and patterns, a few people brought sewing books.  Sewandwrite graciously arranged to take our excess home to donate to an organization.  She braved the meetup despite a recent ankle injury.

I apologize, I don't know everyone's PR/Internet name.  Please let me know if you want to be tagged!

All photos are here.

DC Sewing Meetup 3-2013

Here's what followed me home.  The cotton knit is a Marcy Tilton, and it just happens to have "grayed jade," one of this year's Pantone colors, in it.  Next is a wonderfully soft cotton print in coral.  I am hoping to eke out Butterick 5490.  The wool herringbone was forced upon me by Nikki, who pointed out that I couldn't possibly resist a wonderful work-appropriate fabric for a skirt.  And finally, the rayon burnout was just too fun to leave behind.  Clio has recently been contemplating the possibilities of sheer, and, well, I'm copying her.

10 comments:

Marita said...

What a wonderful time you all must have had, and I just love those fabrics you brought home, they will look very nice on you.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

Wish I was there too, sounds like fun.

Mary said...

This looked fun-you live in such a vibrant part of the country. Enjoy the new fabrics.

Kathy {Kathy Sews} said...

Super jealous! I think I need to join in on some local sewing meet up fun like this, but perhaps here in Baltimore, but I'd totally consider an easy trek to DC.

McVal said...

That sounded like a blast! And I LOVE Marcy Tilton fabrics!!

Uta said...

I love that grayed jade in your fabric, so subtle and elegant. The swap sounds so fun - I'd love to go to one and go home with a bit less than I brought!!

Unknown said...

This sounds wonderful. Wish I'd known about it.

Andrea said...

I love the fabric you brought home. I can't wait to see what you make with that burnout fabric. I am so jealous that you got to hangout with those lovely ladies. I think I might have to add that Vogue pattern to my list that DD showed you all.

pella said...

You have acquired lovely fabric there - it sounds like a great day out.

teresa said...

Wish you were out in California! I hope you took home that Butterick 5675 I saw on the pile and you make it up real soon. I'm in the process of making it but have only seen one review of it online. Maybe you can tell us why it's for moderate stretch knits only but it's cut on the bias. Do stretch knits have a bias?